This is the first year in maybe 4 that I have not suffered from SAD, seasonal affective disorder. I say SAD, but I have not had a diagnosis except from my arm chair! Normally from the middle of January through mid-March I struggle daily with keeping myself going through the dark days of winter and the rains that affect middle Tennessee for weeks on end. I will be honest, I have NO idea what is different this year.
Maybe it's Chiron leaving Pisces. Maybe it's my being in a personal good space. Maybe it's my giving up of meat. No idea! I'm just thrilled. But, that doesn't change the fact that we are having our umpeenth day of cold rain in Tennessee and after a while, it does affect you a little! Add to that another sick kid. We've had strep, a flu-like virus and now I don't know what going through our home. I'm making the 17 year old breakfast, putting on the essential oils, handing him motrin and getting him settled for a day of rest on the couch.
Today I could have easily have succumbed to this rainy weather and spun out. But, I lit candles, put on music and doubled down on focus as I knew that things would be changing throughout the day. My high schooler finally has the virus that has been going around and is home on the couch, clients are calling me for quick changes or needs, I'm working for a new client that I am sorely behind on, I remembered that I forgot to tell the hubby that the 6th grade class meeting was changed to 3pm today AND I forgot to add it to the calender, I just realized that on the list of items that Kroger was out of for my Clicklist order, one was an important ingredient for tonight's dinner......such is life.
Now I work while an early dinner prep is simmering on the stove and soft music is playing. Here's to another rainy day and rainy day rituals that keep us on track!
I feel a little bad, I'll be honest. There are those times when I feel stressed and then very shortly that stress turns to immense gratitude (I'm serious about that) about my life. I've been given the opportunity + MADE the opportunity to be an entrepreneur and create my own reality. Then I remember this IS my life and I've created the stress as well as all of the good things that go along with it!
You are probably over me talking about our rough yet amazing year. Meaning from last March until really about now. Let me explain.
I have been a SAHM, a working mom (let's not argue over these terms) and have been a mompreneur now for a couple of years. This is most likely my most difficult gig as a mom. We (meaning my entire family) behave as if I am a stay at home mom and I schedule my work-time around the kid's schedules, my husband's schedules, last year around my dad's doctors appointments then later estate business. It's my family, then my clients, my volunteer work, dealing with our home issues (which have been immense). I have felt like a very large (emphasis on large) hamster on spinning wheel just rolling from one end of the city to the other and hoping that the wheel doesn't fall over.
My husband reminds me constantly that I have control over my schedule. There are days when I say, "do I?" I mean, REALLY? The reality is, YES, I do have that control. And then, then there are the days like today. Today I am sitting at the car dealership working through my client to-do lists, fielding phone calls, working on course work from my Mastermind group, trying to get as much as I can completed so that I can go to the bank and the pet store then home for an hour of cleaning, followed by taking my son to the year end rowing banquet. What should have been a 2-hour appointment at the car dealership has turned into 4 due to not putting in the correct information about my car issue into their system.
The good news, I've gotten a lot of work done. The bad news, my entire day is off. And, this is normal. That's the really bad news. That's my struggle. How do I keep each day from going off the rails?
This week is our first week of summer break. Our first full week. This week is filled with work and to-do's and playdates and dentist appointments. The rest of the summer looks a little more structured. Habits are important and that is what is on my mind and what I am working on for myself and my family this summer to allow my wheel to slow down and to prevent derailment.
My Mastermind work with Joanna Hunter is helping. I am creating a plan, a better plan I should say, plus my gratitude work that I have done on and off for years, but pulled together more thanks to my work with Elizabeth Purvis over at Goddess Business School!
If you are a mompreneur, I'd love to hear from you hear or over at FB how you stay on track each day. What is your number 1 most important habit that keeps you on the rails? What is the number 1 thing that spins you off into the wild? Let's have it!!!!!
Stepping into this new year has been amazing. I am expanding and growing in so many ways and want to share some things with other heart-centerened entrepreneurs that may assist you as you step into your story and share you own gifts with the world. Below is my social media checklist for event/class/workshop success! I created this for a local retailer and have adapted it for other clients. Today, I share it with you in hopes that it assists you in stepping into the light.
If you prefer to have this in a printable pdf, click below and print away!
November was absolutely nuts. In every possible way. December can be hectic but it no longer has the air of political uncertainty about it. We may be uncertain but at least we know what our uncertainty is. So, I'm taking the advice of the astrologers, as well as Feng Shui guru Katie Weber and putting my head into my business, standing tall and finishing big. Here's how:
1. Self-care. This is not a season that I can focus on massages or healers, but what I can do is drink my water and exercise, even if just going for a walk, each day. Self-care matters.
2. Meditate. This is SO hard. Not because I find it difficult to meditate. I don't. What I find difficult is finding the time.
3. Teach. So many entrepreneurs get caught up in putting all of their eggs into an online basket. Get out and teach! I am and it's one of my favorite roles to be in.
4. Find hidden sources of income. For me, that's affiliate work. That means that I have partnered with a handful (less than really) of great people out there serving the world and they offer something I believe in and want to share with you.
5. Purge. Yes. Keep purging. I have purged so much this year that I cannot believe we even have a place to sit. Not kidding. And, I have another load ready to go to Goodwill. I am working on purging every item I can from mine and my family's life so we can focus on the things we love instead of always having to clean the house or reorganize or find homes for new things. In fact, I have practically begged family member to purchase very little for us and our children for Christmas. Just don't. We don't need it and I really am getting tired of going to Goodwill.
6. Oils and candles. Yep. Essential oils. Everyday. In the house and on me as well as candles. My faves are Angel Radiance poured with the blessings of the Angels. These help me to focus and center even when things are spiraling.
7. Do's and Don'ts of Social Media. Post relevant material to your social media accounts, then get off.
8. CONTROL YOUR CALENDAR. Okay. If you do not do anything else, control your calendar. Use a calendar. Check your calendar daily. Write down your goals. Let me say it again in case you missed the message. Control your calendar! I am. I have. I will. In fact, I just sent an email to an organization that is part of our life letting them know that we are taking a little step back next year as we are going to focus on my business, our health, school and things like family camping.
That's it. It's not hard. But, it takes diligence. You can do it. So can I!
I’m Dana Croy and I am a modern day mama. Balancing family and work is not always easy (not to mention a little self-care). Though being Mama to two fantastic kiddos is a huge part of my life, that was not always the case. I wear many other hats and invite to sit down and find harmony with me.